Bulletproof...I wish he was

When the term hero is mentioned there is no man who stands out more in my mind than Martin Luther King, Jr. He dedicated every single facet of his life towards the betterment of humanity. Sometimes I sit back and think if certain prominent figures never existed if the world be the same.

It is easy to say that without MLK the world would be a completely different world. So with Thanksgiving in the rearview mirror and Christmas right around the corner it is important to remember what we are thankful for. I am thankful for heroes and in particular, Dr. King.

In a matter of 197 seconds this song embodies the life of such a magnificent man. Take a listen.


Lyrics Bulletproof - Solilaquists of Sound

I was born King
Pushing hip in 29
Son of a preacher mind with the same name as he
Until at 35 he legally dropped it and changed it to honor a German protestant
I used to sing choir
Went to college at 15, skipping 9th and 12th grade with big dreams of sociology and systematic theology
I'ma be like pops, a pastor
After 1954 I'm just that...
25 in Alabama facing lack
Of unity in tune with the omnipresent, I'm used to being "Jim Crow-ed" though
Relate to that!
Where I stay there's racial segregation
The measurement of a man is 98cents
Freedom and a home to write is $28.12 but I'm a long way from Walden I admit

What's dead to you (what's dead to you) is pushing through

I played the game of victim too long to be a silent opposition to authority's position
Listen!
One day, while beginning a book I had a vision that would wake me in the middle of typing
Fast forward to the signing of that very book
Harlem 58' take a closer look
I was stabbed in the chest with an envelope opener
Black woman from Georgia named Izola. Now,
Rewind back to that typing process
My vision of a promise-land in spite of death...
People gathered speaking rather bold saying I was out of touch...
"Bus boycotts are old"
Civil rights' not a fight for the now
Even now in the present I'm learning how
Maybe I should just rest, slitter in my chest
Pushing the envelope is not for the best

What's dead to you (what's dead to you) is pushing through

No!
I'ma wake from this...
Escape death while I gotta boat to fix
Reapers knocking, but you cant stop when a will to make a way is waiting over the mountain
So I wrote more books, led a people to action
Marched on Washington with peace and passion
Left the movement of the south in the north with Jackson
Opposed war in Vietnam back to back then
Won't sleep till the dream is alive
Hold more rallies, get the poor organized. I,
Believe in a date with death but if I gotta go now no fear is left
Left away from stress
39 years to a King ain't a thing what's left
An absolute? Nah.
Another living being wants to see if I'm bulletproof

What's dead to you (what's dead to you) is pushing through


What's dead to you (what's dead to you) is pushing, pushing, pushing, pushing through...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woke Up Making Money - SoulChef ft Declaime

Hilltop Hoods - I love it ft. Sia

Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst