XV - Pictures on My Wall

This song in particular really hammers home the underlying reason why I choose to allocate some of my spare time to this blog. Role models can show a sliver of hope in a world full of hurt. In verse 3 XV tells his story of an abusive father who tries to crush any and all ambition, luckily with no avail. To appreciate the power of music, and even more so than that, idolize those very artists who are capable of opening a door where pain can subside is a remarkable feat. I love the song, I love XV's ability to simply yet eloquently get his point across, and even more so than any of that I love the fact that having rappers to idolize got this man to where he is today.



Lyrics: XV - Pictures on My Walls

I can't breathe in this place thats filled with your sound
Can't call a spade a spade in this town
Dug a hole that I can't get out
I can't figure it I can't figure it out
Out
Out

It was a pinup
The magazines were print up
That made me pick the pen up
That kept a nigga's chin up
That turn loosers into winners in that moment that we would give up
Couldn't die down the expectations they thought that we would live up
It was everything most parents hated
Nigga's with dreams wearing bling screaming that they made it
New York rappers said son
West coast niggas said cuz
Midwest dudes said fam
Damn no wonder why I related
Relayed it to my grandmother that bought me comics
To be honest it didn't bother her as much as momma
Drama expected like the nomination of Obama
Kept me hiding out in my room like Osama
Stepfather didn't dig it
They were shoveling dreams to an underage teen
Whose real father couldn't visit
So I put on those headphones and just listened
As the murals on the wall turned a kingdom from a prison
I hear em singing

Keep your head up high keep mine above the ground
Hide away the love that I found
Its a world that I can't get out
I can't figure it I can't figure it out
Hanging pictures on the wall
Always on my mind
I can't figure it out

I know its crazy to think my pictures talked
And we created a rocket
I got it in and it and lifted off
When maybe the latter was kinda gone
And the former was kinda wrong
So all I have is these songs and posters up on the wall
Sometime I took them to school to feel cool
Couldn't bring the cd the case was a jewel
And I refused to burn money
I'm saving green and my room you walk in and think it was ferngully
And beef wasn't allowed
Pac was next to Biggie and Dre was next to Easy
The idea was profound I'd turn the music loud
And put on my own recital
In a room full of my idols and feel less suicidal
Trade a pencil sharpener for urban marketing
Lawyer doctor in for street scholarin'
White collar for police collarin'
Mom and pops hollarin' but I just tune it out
The tune as loud as I begin it says

Keep your head up high keep mine above the ground
Hide away the love that I found
Its a world that I can't get out
I can't figure it I can't figure it out
Hanging pictures on the wall
Always on my mind
I can't figure it out

Knocks on my door came from the same fist
That just knocked me to the floor
Punch me in the chest and then clock me in the jaw
Whats wrong with dad
I haven't done a thing school that was this bad
His ass doesn't care
Trying to fight back but it doesn't fair
Why'd my mom let this nigga come in here
She'd begins to come to tears
I'm screaming it's all your fault
He says whats this bullshit up on your wall
As I look up to the ceiling to weak to respond
With these posters of mere mortals thats seeming like Gods
Trying to stand up to my feet to just even the odds
But he just knocks be back down and screams at my moms
He starts seeing a bond between me and these pictures
He says look at these niggas what are they father figures
Now its hard to ignore
That all I live for is now balled up on the floor



Comments

  1. Beautiful song. Can't stop listening to it, so deep, so emotional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Woke Up Making Money - SoulChef ft Declaime

Hilltop Hoods - I love it ft. Sia

Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst