Posse Cut of The Year

So today I hop in a car and turn the radio on. Something I rarely do, but I had no CD’s in the car. I heard this song it totally re-affirmed my belief that the radio plays some pretty twisted stuff. I really can’t comprehend why they do what they do, but it is what it is. So I heard all these top stars Drake, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Eminem on one track and got me thinking. These are arguably the best in the biz right now. I looked online and apparently Jay-Z said this track is the “best posse cut of the year.” Yo, Jay did you get a chance to hear Cunninlynguists new album “Strange Journey Volume 2?” I think you need to think before you speak. On “Close Your Eyes” you have arguably the best in the underground scene laying down some refreshing lyrical content. Lets rate the songs and decide which is the winner.

We will rate this on 4 categories; beat, production, lyrical content, and delivery.

So we start with the beat. I am pretty bias on this one and prefer “Close Your Eyes” beat, but I know that most people would latch on to the beat for “Forever” so if we are keeping a tally here its 0-1.

Production isn’t even a question for me, the beat for “Close Your Eyes” may not be “commercial” friendly, but you have to admit the sampling is off the charts, mix that with the scratching and you have another Kno perfect produced beat. On “Forever” the typical horns starting the song off and and the standard synthesized voices in the chorus. The production isn’t better in any way shape or form. Tally 1-1.

Lyrical content is another landslide. I wouldn’t say the lyrics are bad on “Forever” but its all Hollywood and flash, it so far from reality that I can’t relate. “Close Your Eyes” is pure poetry. Tally 2-1 (But you can judge this one for yourself, lyrics are below for both songs).

The delivery is a tough one to decide on these tracks. I will give Drake some credit on this one for above par delivery, but Kanye is not on his game on this track. Move on to Lil Wayne and Eminem and you have the styles that have made these guys both infamous in their own regards. On “Close Your Eyes” you have all pretty quality word delivery with the exception of Macklemore. He shines like a bright star. Once again I am bias and think at best this is a tie, but for the sake of helping he industry out lets give “Forever” 1.5 and “Close Your Eyes” 1. Tally 3 – 2.5

Winner – “Close Your Eyes” Personally would have given this much more of a lopsided score of 4 – 2, but I wanted to be as fair as possible here. Like I said earlier, judge for yourself.





Cunninlynguists – Close Your Eyes feat (Grieves, Geologic, Macklemore)

Close your eyes

You will see

[Grieves]

Cringed in the back of a van with no sleep

Trying to make a good impression with my mic in my hand

I feel whethered but feel like I have been driving forever

Showing up to rock show trying to hold myself together

I’ve been better but all things pass

This life is taking everything away but your provided with your pass

So fuck it

I stick to having dreams on the road

But until this dream is done I’m gonna keep my eyes closed

And breathe, breathe when it snows

Breathe when I’m forced to live a life with a person on a phone

Tied down to things I choose to and fight the parallel of love

Everytime I pack up and go and keep breathing

Breathe with the seasons

Breathe and let the blue lights hit me on the stage while I am speaking

Cause after the show when the last star shines

I can make this all better when I close my eyes

[Deacon The Villain]

I’m in another zone where troubles gone

Where sisters home and my bro leaves her stuff alone

In a place where life is easy for everybody else

I wish that earth was even and I put that on myself

But we don’t know it where we don’t show it all

For life ain’t protocol under sky over law

[Natti]

I’m in another space where all the food is good

Where there is enough for everybody in my neighborhood

Where all the grass is blue where we don’t know bout green

Cause money ain’t a thing I pinch myself it’s not a dream

Where human form and uniform are unicorn seem

If I drew a horn in que-niform it wouldn’t mean a thing

[Chorus]

Close your eyes

Keep the vision in sight

Close your eyes

Keep the vision insight

[Geologic]

Between climbing and finding it not worth it

Locked in a rhythm my timing is perfect

I’m so zoned out of my mind I spit verses blind

I think of home when I close my eyes

So done with the smokes and fries

Gas stations with clerks who never seen a Pilipino in his life

Drinks I shouldn’t drink things I never write

Cities I never liked now its like aight

Got much table weirdo’s guys who want to cipher

Girls who want to fuck, but not vice versa

My work is love no complaints I’m fine

Its been a long night can’t wait to close my eyes

[Macklemore]

I dream of an industry egoless and free from the

Modern chains, with these chains we’re so deep in love

Manufacture buzz bought just to keep us up

Dreaming a publicist wasn’t 2 G’s a month

And where it’s not about numbers and math

And I was content with just a couple of fans

My happiness wasn’t relying on tours and a van

Much sales itunes myspace and a band

With the front row pumped though stadium packed

And those that never gave me a chance I could throw it right back

And scream at them look at me now look at me man

Defeated myself as I ran circles around a track

Kept running and gunning gunning success in my path

Fuck being humble humility is a step in the past

I woke up and realized it was a dream

Wide awake in the rap game but life I’m asleep

Close your eyes

Keep the vision in sight

Close your eyes

Keep the vision insight

You will see if you ever feel

Drake – Forever feat (Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Eminem)

[Chorus]
It may not mean nothing to y’all,
but understand nothing was done for me,
so i don’t plan on stopping at all,
I want this sh-t forever man, ever man, ever man,
I’m shutting sh-t down in the mall,
and telling every girl she the one for me,
and i aint even planning to call,
i want this sh-t forever man, ever man, ever man,

[Drake]

Last name ever,
first name greatest,
like a sprained ankle boy I ain’t nuttin to play with,
it started off local but thanks to all the haters,
i know G4 pilots on a first name basis,
and your city faded off to brown, Nino,
she insists she got more class, we know!
swimming in the money come and find me, Nemo,
if i was at the club you know I ball’d, chemo,
drop the mixtape that sh-t sounded like an album
who’d have thought a country wide tour would be the outcome
labels want my name beside the X like Malcolm
everybody got a deal, I did it without one,
yeah n-gga i’m about my business,
killing all these rappers you would swear I had a hit list,
everyone who doubted me is asking for forgiveness,
if you aint been a part of it at least you got to witness,
b-tches,

[Chorus]

[Kanye West]

Ever ever, Mr West is in the Building,
Aint no question who about to kill em,
I used to have hood dreams,
big fame, big chains,
i stuck my d-ck inside this life until that b-tch came,
I went hard all fall like the ball teams,
just so I can make it rain all spring,
y’all seen my story my glory,
i had raped the game young,
you can call it statutory,
when a n-gga blow up they gon build statues for me
old money Benjamin Button, whaat, nuttin,
now superbad chicks giving me mcLovin,
you would think I ran the world like Michelle’s husband,
you would think these n-ggas would know me when they really doesn’t
like they was down with the old me no you f-cking wasn’t,
your’e such a f-cking loser,
he didn’t even go to class Bueller,
trade the Grammy plaques just to have my granny back,
remember she had that bad hip like a fanny pack,
chasing that stardom would turn you into a maniac,
all the way in Hollywood and I can’t even act,
they pull their cameras out and God damn they snap,
I used to want this thing forever y’all can have it back,

[Chorus]

[Lil Wayne]

Ok, hello its da martian,
space jam Jordan’s,
I want this sh-t forever wake up and smell the Garden,
fresher than the harvest
step up to the target,
if i had one guess than I guess im just New Orleans,
and I will never stop like i’m running from the cops,
hop up in my car and told my chauffeur “to the top”,
life is such a f-cking roller coaster then it drops,
but what should I scream for this is my theme park,
my minds shine even when my thoughts seem dark,
pistol on my side you don’t wanna hear that thing talk,
let the king talk check the price and pay attention,
Lil Wayne thats what they got to say or mention,
Im like Nevada in the middle of the summer,
i’m resting in the lead I need a pillow and a cover,
shhh, my foots sleeping on the gas,
no brake pads no such thing as last,

[Chorus]

[Eminem]
There they go back in stadiums
as Shady spits his flow,
nuts they go, macadamia they go so ballistic whoa,
we can make them look like boso’s,
he’s wondering if he should spit this slow,
f-ck no go for broke,
his cup just runneth over oh no
he aint had a buzz like this since the last time that he overdosed,
they’ve been waiting patiently for Pinnochio to poke his nose,
back into the game and they know,
rap will never be the same as before,
bashing in the brains of these hoes,
and establishing a name as he goes,
the passion and the flame is ignited,
you can’t put it out once we light it,
this sh-t is exactly what the f-ck that i’m talking about when we riot,
you dealin with a few true villians
who stand inside of the booth truth spillin,
and spit true feelings, until our tooth fillings come flying up out of our mouths
now rewind it
payback muthaf-cka for the way that you doubted me so how’s it taste?
when I slap the taste out your mouth with the bass so loud that it shakes the place,
i’m hannibal lecter so just in case your thinking of saving face,
you aint gonna have no face to save by the time Im through with this place,
so Drake….

[Chorus]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woke Up Making Money - SoulChef ft Declaime

Hilltop Hoods - I love it ft. Sia

Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst