Tony Diego the Man the Myth the Legend

Throughout high school I led a rebellious lifestyle geared mainly towards the pain caused from my parents divorce. I was lost in more ways than one and although I was highly social I had trouble nestling in with my classmates. That was until the day Tony Diego and I met. This guy was a legend throughout my hometown, a hero if you will.

All the guys wanted to be Tony, the women all either had or wanted to sleep with him, and there wasn't a person who didn't know of some story about him. For some reason he and I clicked and became best of friends. He took a shy and timid boy and turned him into a confident and arrogant adolescent. Just through knowing Tony I had a whole new swagger to my step. The problem was a good portion of our relationship was founded on getting fucked up weed and alcohol. It only took some time until we dabbled into more explicit activities.

We took different routes after High School, I went off to college and he chose to work for his fathers company. I learned a lot while I was off at school, but Tony continued on his path of being a hometown hero. He never cleaned up his ways and his addiction ravaged his life. On May 7, 2010 Tony Diego passed away from overdosing on oxycontin. With multiple stints in and out of rehab and his violent addiction I can't say this comes as a huge shock. But it's still very surreal. Although our friendship dwindled down to the occasional phone call I can't help but feel an immense amount of pain and anguish.

Its weird how that works out. I doubt we would have ever rekindled our relationship on the same level it ever was. The saying really is true that you don't know how much you miss something until it is really gone. Tony all I can say is that were an incredible person. I never got to figure out what kind of demons you were battling but I can only hope that finally the fight is over. Rest in peace my friend. The good die young, but the great live forever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woke Up Making Money - SoulChef ft Declaime

Hilltop Hoods - I love it ft. Sia

Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst